Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Waiting for God

What a difference a few days make. Mom seemed to be getting better but I think it was a nice gift. Mom was able to talk for a day and a little the next day. It was blessing and we were able to try to calm her fears. The dementia or brain damage is causing her body to fail.

The doctors advised against a feeding tube to prolong her life but really we didn't want to prolong her suffering. They assured us the dementia would prevent her from being hungry. She is in the hospital but they are discharging her Thursday and we are taking her home to her house and she will be under 24 hour hospice care. My brother will come into town tomorrow night and will stay with her until she crosses over into the Promised Land.

I had a meltdown at the hospital today and ended up not going back to work. They were simply ignoring her and she seemed to be choking so I went and asked if they ever checked on her. They simply didn't seem to care one way or the other. I asked the tech if he ever observed her to see if she was choking or her breathing and he said, "I don't have time." In a very how dare you expect me to waste my time taking care of a patient that is dying kind of voice. At least that's how I felt. I asked him if his intention was to just let her suffer and die? I know she's dying but this is supposed to be comfort care, not I get to be comfortable while you suffer care. I told them they may as well put a pillow over her face since they were just letting her choke. So ridiculous. Be very adamant with your loved ones. We have to be their advocates when they can't speak for themselves.

Needless to say, I went balistic, told him the get the respiratory therapist to suction her mouth and he came back and said she's coming but she doesn't think she can do anything since she's on hospice. So when she came, I went balistic on her and she said she can't do it if the doctor doesn't order it. I said, "So, you're telling me that if a patient in this hospital is choking to death, you're just going to let them die because the doctor didn't order it?" She didn't want to put a tube down her throat in case she started bleeding. I said just suction her mouth and get the gunk out of it so it doesn't roll down her throat and choke her to death. I used a choice word or two to get my point across. Not proud of it but she got the stuff and set it up. Don't mess with me when I'm taking care of my Mama or my kids and I'm sure if my hubby is in that position, I might stomp on someone's head. Just sayin'. I may go redneck on them.

I already had the hospice nurse on the phone and she was appalled at their behavior and came right out as she was about to come anyway and the social worker came out to tell me the hospital caled that they were going to discharge her today. By now, I'm about to lose it and already told Nurse Andrea that my brother was coming Thursday and we could take her home if necessary. She deemed her 24 hour care and they began calling the idiot lady who said they were kicking her out. My poor Mom had already been kicked out of the rehab (they wouldn't let us bring her back Sunday), kicked out of Baylor so to speak but that's whole other story, and now kicked out of Dallas Regional (I do NOT recommend this hospital after our treatment).  On the other hand, I should have stayed at Baylor since I had an option at the time but I let someone else push me to make a different decision that I now regret.

My pastors came out and I think they may have heard Pastor Russell ask if I had a good lawyer. They were very comforting and offered any help if I need it. Prayed for Mom before they left.

The nurse spoke to the tech who never apologized to me even though she said he felt bad about it but it was very hectic at that time. Funny, when I went and got him he was sitting down behind the desk. The doctor said she's had trouble with him before and wanted me to lodge a complaint but I think Nurse Andrea did it for me. I don't want to complain on someone that is taking care of my Mom. At least not until after we've left. He did make a 180 and was very much kinder after that.

So the doctor came in (our nursing home doctor is the hospital doctor) and said the hospital wanted to discharge her because there was some kind of inappropriate admission and she said we don't have to worry about it, we won't get a bill, the hospice people will have to take care of it. So Mom's staying until Thursday and then going home to her house. I really hope she makes it because all she really has ever wanted to do is to go home. And if she doesn't make it that long, then she will truly be going Home to her Heavenly Father. So it's all good.

Praying she makes it and we are all around her to say goodbye at that time when God takes her to her Forever Home.

Mama, I love you and I'm going to miss you like everything but you'll be so happy in Heaven with Dad and Charlie, Grannie and Grand-dad and everyone else that's waiting at the Pearly Gates right now because they know you're coming soon. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment