Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nifty Thrifty

I had to do an audit at a sister Walmart yesterday. It is not that far from my store but it sits right next to one of the best thrift stores ever, Casa View Thrift. I have found some really good things there so I always have to make a detour going out to my car on the way home.

My cousin asked me the night before if Mom had any old pyrex dishes as she had broke her favorite little dish and was looking for another one. I figured that was as good a reason as any to venture into the Thrift Store. I meandered through the aisles and came upon an almost hidden room full of glassware. I touch one bowl and apparently someone had left another glass dish sitting precariously half touching it. Yep, it fell and shattered into pieces. I let them know on the way out they had some broken glass in the back.


My addiction dates back to the time my Mom and I had a building at a fleamarket. We had a lot of fun scouring garage sales to find treasures to resell. We had regular customers and we knew what to buy. One collected shot glasses, one was raising his new grandson, one had a booth down the aisle and loved pottery, glasswear, etc. We found it and they bought it. Half the fun was making people happy.

We, of course, fell in love with a lot of the treasures. Old habits are hard to kick. Which is why I can't buy another cool item (unless it's really, really good and I can find a reason to really "need" it). I was good though and practiced self control and did not buy anything. We are trying to make more space, not take up more space. Good thing I'm not going back to that store anytime soon, I may not be able to control myself.

I have a weakness for glassware and my husband, Mike, cringes when I bring home another piece. I can't blame him, my China cabinet is overflowing. So here are some of the cool items I saw yesterday but left on the shelf.

Nifty Mixing Bowls




Isn't this a cool little pitcher? Pancake syrup would be perfect in this.


We needed this when we had Reace's birthday tea party
and I've always wanted one.
A little silver polish and elbow grease and we could
serve tea fit for our little princesses.


Now I'm itching to go back and check out the one down the street from there that I missed.
Autumn said she was sure they'd have the pyrex dish. Just don't tell Mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment